Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

From: Andrew Broome (broome@manawatu.gen.nz)
Date: Mon Sep 04 2000 - 23:48:11 PDT

Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2000 18:48:11 +1200
From: Andrew Broome <broome@manawatu.gen.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Spiders taking up residence in Sarracenia pitchers!

David said...

>In the past week I have:
>
>1) a spider taking up residence in my newly opened S. Leucophylla pitcher.
>Its spun a web deep in, I cant get it out, and it appears to be able to move
>freely, eating the insect the plant lured (wrapping it in silk to boot). I
>cant get it out, it just retreats deeper.
>
>2) a bigger spider moved into one of the pitchers in my S. Purpurea venosa.
>I evicted him
>
>3) another smaller jumping spider built a web overing in another pitcher of
>my S. Purp. Venosa
>

>Is this common? What do you do to discourage this?

To take examples from two widely spaced parts of the world. I've had
several species of spider in New Zealand make use of the pitchers of
my Sarracenia. I feel this must be a case of opportunism, as perhaps
opposed to the spiders (species unknown) that I saw living on and in
S. alata, S. flava etc when I was in Florida, Alabama etc earlier this
year.

Opportunism or not, it must work.

BTW: I just leave them on the plants I maintain in cultivation.

Andrew@home.

*NZKA 137, NAKA 5, AKA 07212, PNAS, NZCPS ...
* Degeneracy can be fun, but it's hard to keep up
* as a serious lifetime occupation.
* Robert M. Pirsig (ZatAoMM)
*Killies: Ducatis: Reptiles & Amphibians: Carnivorous Plants: