Re: cp altitude records in W-US

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 31 2000 - 09:13:48 PDT

Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 09:13:48 -0700
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cp altitude records in W-US

To be more useful in comparing CP altitude records, it would be
important to include latitude as additional information. For example,
"timberline" drops in elevation with increasing latitude. Plants at a
given elevation are subjected to less variation in daylength and
temperature extremes at 30 degrees latitude than at 45 degrees or at 60
degrees. Consequently, it would not be surprising find plants that are
absent above 1000 m at 45 degrees latitude to be quite common at 2000 m
at 35 degrees latitude. Other useful information might be whether the
site is subjected to a coastal or continental climate.