Highland Tank : Cheap, reliable, and trouble-free refrigeration.

From: sean samia (seansamia@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 23:41:53 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 23:41:53 -0700 (PDT)
From: sean samia <seansamia@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Highland Tank : Cheap, reliable, and trouble-free refrigeration.

Hey listserver! Igloo makes a cooler called
PLENTIKOOL. Buy the small model. It costs $69.00 at
WAL-MART. In this model, the cooling element is 4
inches wide, 4 inches deep, and 12 inches long. It
fits perfectly on the end of a 20 gallon tank. The
cooling element can be taken off by removing 2 simple
screws. It comes out in one piece. Best of all, with a
removable power cord. The cooling element is so small
you can fit it under your arm like a newspaper.
Second procedure: go to a hardware store(Home Depot),
and buy styrofoam(preferably with one side with
adhesive). But any styrofoam will do. Put it on all
four sides, including the bottom. Plug it in. Within 3
hours it will be down to a cool 50 F. Personally, mine
never gets lower than 44 F. and yes, the Highland
Nepenthes are kicking ass. The same procedure can be
done to a 60 gallon tank, but 2 cooling elements will
be needed. It works so well, I've been thinking about
upgrading my fluorescent fixtures to HID(High
intensity discharge lamps). Brighter light, much
smaller fixture. Those lamps take up 1/10 the space,
but put out 10 times the punch(Lumens). I used to have
a ultra-sonic fogger, but through time realized it
didn't make a difference in my apartment. I saved the
best for last. The unit is so quiet that if you
whispered you could not hear it. It costs about $35.00
a year to run it. Petiolaris Sean