Re: Withering Neps

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Mon Aug 28 2000 - 07:11:40 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:11:40 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Withering Neps

>> we had an extremely hot summer this year (with night lows above 30C, day
 highs 37-38C) and both N. alata and N. ventricosa withered. Could
 someone with more experience than me tell me if there is any hope of
 recovery? I moved the plants to a shadier place and mist often but I see
 no change. Thank you >>

If the growing tip looks ok, I would cover the plants with a clear plastic
bag for a week or two, and keep it in a cool place out of direct sun. If the
growing tip withered but the rest of the plant looks ok, I would cut off the
growing tip. This will allow a dormant bud to shoot and reform the stem. If
the plants are well established rooted cuttings, don't give up hope even if
the entire plant dries up and turns brown. They have the ability of shooting
new stems from an area very close to the soil level near the roots, even
after the vine completely dies. I wouldnt give up on them for at least 3-4
months, even after they appear totally dead. I have grown both of these
plants outside here in Memphis. Our temps in the summer often reach 100
degrees farenheit (which I think is about 38 degrees celcius.) Our nights
often cool down a bit more than yours do, as we get down into the mid 70's to
low 80's at night. (24-27 degrees celcius) The plants go dormant, but dont
wither. (dormancy not necessarily the correct term here. Their growth slows
dramatically and they refuse to pitcher.) They resume normal growth and
pitchering in the fall when it cools down. The withering is probably due to
high temps accompanied by low humidity. As the temperature rises, the
humidity can drop significantly. At 38 celcius, these plants could wither in
an afternoon with the humidity below 30 percent.
Michael Catalani