Possible link in growing difficult Nepenthes.

From: sean samia (seansamia@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Aug 26 2000 - 23:51:12 PDT

Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 23:51:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: sean samia <seansamia@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Possible link in growing difficult Nepenthes.

Hi listserver! Here is a possible theory to growing
Highland Nepenthes and Lowlanders too. Remember, it's
just a theory, so please don't have me sight
literature(Did Einstein sight literature? I don't
think so). For years people kept saying, it's the soil
that makes the Petiolaris grow, because they grow in
soils that are heavy in metals, such as: aluminum,
iron, nickel, and too many more to state. I've proven
that theory wrong. I've also proven that wrong with
the African cps and the cps from Caledonia. There are
some Nepenthes that puzzle me, such as: merrilliana,
edwardsiana, villosa, and too many to state. You
Nepenthes nuts know what they are. Now this is where
my theory starts, a lot of Lowland and Highland
Nepenthes grow in soils that are high in metals and
when I try to replicate those soils the Nepenthes
still don't grow right, so obviously something is
missing. I think I might have found the missing link.
It's a fungus called mycorrhiza. It has a intimate
symbiotic association with root cells of some vascular
plants and there are different forms of mycorrhiza.
I've collected live sphagnum from the bogs in Northern
California. When i planted up my more difficult
Nepenthes in it, they totally changed their attitude
in growing, but the same plants that I planted in
sterilized, long-fiber sphagnum just got by and didn't
look to happy. I've collected soil from the wild to
custom-make my own Nepenthes mix with excellent
results: northiana, viellardi have definitely changed
their attitude on growing. In the coming weeks, i will
let you know how my merrilliana and villosa do. In my
opinion the most difficult in the genus to grow.
Petiolaris Sean