highland stuff, top 10

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 24 2000 - 20:57:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 23:57:31 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: highland stuff, top 10

  Hi Everyone,

  What do people do(ie what does everyone doo-doo) to accomadate highland
plants? Do you heat and then use the natural coolness to replicate that 20
degree swing or do you use normal temps during the day and use some cooling
effect for the night. I want to know what works for people, and that does
not include all those weirdos in California where the outdoor temps are
perfect(hi Peter, David and Geoff ;-).
  Top 10 list? Hmmm. Only 10 plants?
  1) Nepenthes bicalcarata
  2) Cephalotus
  3) N. vietchii
  4) Dionaea-would be #1, but when people find out about this strange hobby,
they say"like the Venus Flytrap?"
  5) Drosera regia
  6) Drosera prolifera
  7) Drosera binata "Marston Dragon"
  8) Pinguicula Moranensis
  9) H. nutans
 10) D. slackii

  These are just the plants I grow or have grown recently. I would probably
have N. hamata and other highland Nepenthes on the list, if I could overcome
the problem stated above.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska

  P.S. Gulp, Slurp...."Send... more...Ivans."