Ivan's Vampiric plants

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 22 2000 - 08:22:34 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ivan's Vampiric plants

Ivan writes...

> trapping and killing followed by a growth spurt . Conveniently, there is
> already a term which can be used to describe the phenomenon, -lifeforce
> vampirism. Read the book Space Vampires by Colin Wilson for more on the

and

> realization, I now suspect that butterworts and sundews may lure their
> prey by hypnotic telepathy. I recall Fernando Rivadavia once hinted to me

etc.

Ivan, we want to warn you about making such sorts of unsubstantiated
claims. If carnivorous plants were vampiric, surely they'd have
conscripted human allies by now to help them. And such human allies WOULD
NOT APPRECIATE your conjectures. Be wary. We are watching you. We are
monitoring your email. We have a pod that looks just like you.

Dr. Barry "Renfield" A. Meyers-Rice
Vampiric Plant Newsletter
Assimilation Coeditor
barry@carnivorousplants.org