Re: Fungus Gnats (was Orthene in UK)

From: Guy Van der Kinderen (Guy.VanderKinderen@rug.ac.be)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 20:13:22 PDT

Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2000 05:13:22 +0200
From: "Guy Van der Kinderen" <Guy.VanderKinderen@rug.ac.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fungus Gnats (was Orthene in UK)

Dear Paul,

I would'nt be so sure about the larvae of fungus gnats' diet. They do like
to nibble on fine roots (especially seedlings are very vulnerable), and it's
not easy to get rid of them. If your Drosera collection is not sufficient to
catch away the adult gnats, you can use yellow sheets of glue paper, which
are also used to catch white fly. The larvae however may be very persistent,
and are mostly controlled by rather toxic pesticides. Fortunately there are
biological methods to controll them. One of them is a nematode called
Steinernemia feltiae, which are usually applied as cystae mixed with some
kind of clay . Also a carnivorous mite can be used, but I don't remember the
name at the moment. I hope these biocontrolls are also available in the UK.

Be carefull with imidacloprid, which is sold here in Belgium under the trade
name 'Confidor'. It is systemic and seems to work against mealy and scaly
bugs. However, it is a relativily new product with still rather unknown
biological and ecological properties. The manufacturer suggests to first
check it out, as it may be toxic to certain plants. In addition, there's
also the warning to never use it more than two times, which is rather
strange.

Kind regards,

Guy