Re: Orthene in the UK

From: Dan Levin (levin@pixar.com)
Date: Tue Aug 15 2000 - 23:45:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2000 23:45:55 -0700
From: Dan Levin <levin@pixar.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Orthene in the UK

Paul,

The generic name for Orthene is Acephate. Not sure of its availability
in the UK however. Other trade names according to W.T. Thompson
"Agricultural Chemicals, Bk.1, Insecticides" are Kitron, Ortran, Ortril
and Tornado. I highly recommend using Orthene in it's soluble powder
form, as opposed to the more common (in the US) liquid concentrate.
I've personally experienced damage to sensitive plants, albeit non-CP,
using the liquid. I suspect that oil or something mixed in as an adjuvant /
spreader-sticker might be to blame.
If your search continues to lead nowhere, please mail me privately.

Best of luck,
 -Dan