Re: CPs of (COLD!) Southern Brazil and "restingas"

From: Diane Charette (Dianne_Charette@concepta.com)
Date: Mon Aug 14 2000 - 15:12:01 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2000 18:12:01 -0400
From: "Diane Charette" <Dianne_Charette@concepta.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CPs of (COLD!) Southern Brazil and "restingas"

Hi there,
                 "[...]Could the water have kept
frost/snow from accumulating on the leaves of these CPs (and killing them
off)?? "

       Yup, surely, where i work, we are growing some black hen-coop (?) and
in early spring as in late automn, when there is some killer frost
probabilities, and the temps is going down below the 0degC, we start the
irrigation system with sprinklers who assure the plants to be covered by
water, who eventually freeze over the plant... It is strange,, but the ice
over the plants protect them from the frost... Thats surely why the cps
survive to the frost... well its my opinion, i can be wrong :P

 Btw, your story were really interesting, as usual, i really love them!
Thanks for sharing us those fieldtrips.

                  Tom