Re: CITES and Nepenthes seed

From: Dave Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 14:14:06 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 17:14:06 -0400
From: "Dave Evans" <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CITES and Nepenthes seed

Dear Jay,

> I am more than somewhat confused regarding CITES regulations regarding
seed
> from App. II species. After years of "assuming" that it was exempt, a la
> flasked orchid seedlings, I now undertand that CITES export permits MUST
be
> obtained prior to sending seed (or any part, incl. pollen) of any Appendix
> species across an international boundary.

    The whole point of CITES is to protect species. Why would you need to
get a permit if a particular species is not native (and can't even be
naturalized either) to your country, for exporting? The only other option
would be there is some other reason for this law... But what? Seems like a
complete waste of time and money--for everyone involved.

Dave Evans