Re: D.Regia Related to D.Musipula?

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Aug 11 2000 - 02:09:36 PDT

Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2000 09:09:36 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.Regia Related to D.Musipula?

Dear Sean,

> Does anyone know the chromosome count
> on D.regia and D.muscipula.

_Dr. regia_ has 2n=34, _Di. muscipula_ has usually 2n=32
(there is also an intriguing count of 33 by Hoshi & Kondo!)
chromosomes (cf. cp database).

> I think they are related.

They definietly are. Besides the morphological similarities, genetic
alignments place _D. regia_ (and not _D. falconeri_ or any other
Lasiocephala; Hi Ivan, I do not buy your theory - but I doubt you
believed I would, anyway!) at the very base of the genus _Drosera_,
quite close to _Dionaea_.

> The flowers and seed are very similar.In D.muscipula the pollen is
> ready before the plant is receptive.The same is true in
> D.regia.Sometimes I even get the seed mixed up. Pretty soon I will
> make the cross.

Good luck! The different chromosome counts and the quite different
growth form (incl. the pollen/ovary/style/stigma structure) of the
two will perhaps cause problems but it is definitely worthwhile to
give it a try. BTW, do you have _Aldrovanda_ (2n=48) handy?

Kind regards
Jan