Re: Nep Pollinator

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Thu Aug 10 2000 - 07:29:48 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:29:48 EDT
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nep Pollinator

<< if the wind would be the normal pollinator, there would
 be no necessity for the very strong smell that both- male
 and female- flowers only at night give off. There must be
 an animal pollinator that is active only at night( moth or bug ).
 Hermann >>

I don't think it would be the normal pollinator, as insect or other animal
pollination would certainly seem much more efficient for the plant. I have
read in several books (including Peter's I think) that wind can play a role
in Nepenthes pollination. I just remember thinking after I read this how
careful one must be with their flowering female Neps that are in close
proximity to flowering males. If we want to hand pollinate Sarracenia, we
would normally cover the flower with cheesecloth or some other material to
prevent an insect from pollinating the flower. If a slight wind or breeze can
bring pollen from a male to a female, then I'm not sure that cheesecloth
could totally prevent air fertilization. You cold potentially end up with
several different hybrids and even true species seed from one female
Nepenthes.
Michael