Nepenthes seed

From: Dr. Daniel M. Joel (dmjoel@netvision.net.il)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 23:31:31 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:31:31 +0300
From: "Dr. Daniel M. Joel" <dmjoel@netvision.net.il>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes seed

Some plants produce seeds without pollination.
This phenomenon is called apomixis.
A simple experiment may indicate whether some Nepenthes
species are apomictic: cut off the stigma of a young (female)
Nepenthes flower, and follow the development of a fruit (if any). Seed
development inside the ovarium (=fruit) will clearly
indicate apomixis. Another test for apomictic seed development
is counting the pollen tubes in the style of a mature fruit. When apomixis
exists,
there are less tubes than seeds, but this test cannot be done without
a microscope and facilities for pollen-tube staining.
Kind regards,
Danny
_______________________________________
Dr. Daniel M. Joel
Newe-Ya'ar Research Center
P.O. Box 1021
30095 Ramat-Yishay, Israel
Email: dmjoel@netvision.net.il
office: +972 4 9539 529
fax: +972 4 9836 936
http://www.agri.gov.il/People/DanielMJoel.html
_______________________________________

> Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 23:45:16 -0400
> From: "Michael Hunt" <stovehouse@earthlink.net>
> To: <cp@opus.labs.agilent.com>
> Subject: Re: Nepenthes seed
>
> This is a very interesting topic. I have very few female Nepenthes. This
> spring a large N. alata did bloom. I left the spent inflorescence on the
> plant. I did not pollinate it, and had no other male Nepenthes blooming
at
> the time. The capsules grew and swelled. They did burst open with what
> looks to me like normal Nepenthes seed. But how can this be? Do
Nepenthes