RE: Nepenthes seed

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 08 2000 - 06:52:07 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:52:07 -0400
From: "Tom Massey" <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Nepenthes seed

Hey Mike:

I have also had Neps that seemed to produce viable seed that I knew had
little chance of having been fertilized. IMHO it seems that sometimes
Nepenthes do go through the process and develop sterile seed. However,
there are other growers in the St Pete area who grow Neps outside - I know
of about 4 or 5. And that is besides all of the orchid types -- trying to
go upscale :)-- who keep one or two Neps around. So maybe you have a
mystery Nep in the making.

On a related note, I have male Neps blooming all the time and I don't ever
see any insects around the flowers. Anybody know what the likely
pollinators could be? Could this be a night flying moth or fly?

Tom in Fl