Re: Nepenthes seeds

From: mp (pmalouf@iamdigex.net)
Date: Sun Aug 06 2000 - 16:50:32 PDT

Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2000 19:50:32 -0400
From: "mp" <pmalouf@iamdigex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes seeds

Earl,

Nepenthes are dioeceous--they come in varieties of
male plant and female plant. In order to obtain seeds,
you need to have both a male plant and female plant in
flower at the same time, and some means for transferring
pollen from the former to the latter.

If this was not the case in your situation then you didn't
obtain seeds from your dry pods.

Pods containing seeds are plump and often 1 cm or more
in length. The seeds themselves are long, slender filaments
with a small swelling (embryo) in the middle.

Regards,

Perry Malouf