Utric VS Mosquitoes, was Re:U. inflata as weed

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Fri Aug 04 2000 - 10:07:02 PDT

Date: Fri, 4 Aug 2000 13:07:02 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utric VS Mosquitoes, was Re:U. inflata as weed

On 8/4/00, Barry Meyers-Rice wrote:
<snip>

>4)Mosquito abatement---people have tried all sorts of ways to get rid of
> mosquitos. I'm sure I read, a long time ago, an article about someone,
> somewhere, trying to use Utricularia as mosquito abatement (by
> having them eat the larvae). It didn't work. Anyone have this
> reference? I'd dearly love to get it.

Sorry to take this off on a tangent, and i don't have the reference,
but I'm about to try this on a small scale in New York. What with the
West Nile virus & all, it seems like a good idea (and a good excuse
to get another cp). Any idea why it didn't work?

(I am, BTW, introducing the Utricularia into a container in my yard,
not dumping it into a lake or the East River.)

-Kit