Re: palmetto bugs

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@nettally.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 14:20:50 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 17:20:50 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@nettally.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: palmetto bugs

At 02:34 AM 7/29/2000 -0700, Phil Wilson wrote:

>What's a palmetto bug - I'm from the UK where we do not get these!

Phil,
   palmetto bugs are largish, 2 to 3 inch long (up to 7.5 cm) cockroaches
indigenous to the southeastern U.S. They generally do not get into food
and such, like German roaches do, but rather hang out in decaying vegetation
(pots of orchid media seem to be among their favorite haunts) and eat
vegetable matter, both dead and alive (they seem to have a particular
fondness for live orchid root tips...aaaarrrggghhh!). While not the largest
cockroach species, by any means, they are largish, and can be rather
intimidating to the uninitiated.

--> Prem
Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net> or <prems@nettally.com>
- Animator, programmer, and orchid and fossil nut extraordinaire...
- DNRC Title: Minister of Lightwave 3d Plugin Design Foolishness
- Home - http://www.PremDesign.com

"We in our foolishness thought we were wise
He played the fool and He opened our eyes
We in our weakness believed we were strong
He became helpless to show we were wrong."
"God's Own Fool" - Michael Card