pest ID

From: tierney wayne (hybrid_t@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 12:51:21 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 19:51:21 GMT
From: "tierney wayne" <hybrid_t@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: pest ID

Hello,
I'm hoping someone can identify a potential pest for me. My first guess is
fungus gnat larvae. They are about 2 mm long, kinda translucent maggots with
black mouthparts. I've always seen them in my pots but they never seemed to
do any damage, and my pings are always covered with gnats, so I never
worried. Now I've found them in some seedling trays which never had any
germination. Does anyone know what they might be, and if they would eat
seeds/seedlings but not bother adult plants? If they are fungus gnats, how
do you treat them?
Thanks for any help,
Tierney
San Jose CA