Sarr wilting and drosera leaf cuttings

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Sat Jul 29 2000 - 07:20:54 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2000 08:20:54 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarr wilting and drosera leaf cuttings

A couple of questions. I have a S. flava in my outdoor bog that isn't
looking too well. The oldest leaves have started to dry out and turn brown
(which is to be expected) but it's only been producing little phylodia
lately, and some of them are a bit soft, not firm like you'd expect from a
healthy plant. I expect it has to do with our recent weather, which has
been the hottest in recent years; every day close to or over 100 F with
humidity dropping into the teens during the afternoon and hardly getting
much over 40% at night (I think the RH in my yard should be a bit higher,
but I'm not sure how much). I've been keeping the bog as damp as I can but
I'm about to run out collected rain water (no substantial rain in months)
and will have to use the hose (tds probably around 300ppm). My question is:
would it be better to dig the plant up and bring it inside? or should I just
leave it there (maybe it'll recover as soon as the temps drop)? It's right
in the middle of a bunch of other plants that seem to be handling the heat a
little better and it would greatly disturb the others to uproot this one.
I've already lost a rubra, minor, and alata, (probably due more to late
transplanting than the heat) but this particular flava would be impossible
to replace. Are there any specific symptoms I should be watching for?

Secondly, the D. intermedia in my bog is doing fantastic, in spite of the
extreme heat and low humidity. I'd like to take some leaf cuttings from it
to start more clumps but is it too late in the growing season?

Thanks in advance.
John Green - working on a Saturday :-(
Salt Lake City, Utah