U. calycifida

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Jul 26 2000 - 09:25:03 PDT

Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 09:25:03 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U. calycifida

Hey Will,

I'm glad to hear you are growing this plant well. It is no secret to
anyone who has seen my plants that I'm quite fond of this species. It is
one of the few Utricularia that has attractive leaves.

I grow several distinct clones of these. Four are registered cultivars,
and for those of you who don't get CPN, you can see photos of them by
clicking on their names at http://www.sarracenia.com/pubs/pubcp.html
Which clone are you growing?

For the last few years I have been hybridizing my U. calycifida plants and
have a few interesting results. Maybe some day I'll have something worth
being registered as a new cultivar.

Maybe this spring I'll sell off specimens of this plant to spread the
cultivars around some. Plant sales are a bit tedious, though, and
something I rarely like to do anymore.

Cheers

Barry

>Several months ago I posted a question about growing U. calycifida as a
>terrestrial or an epiphyte. I wanted to let you know about my
>experience. Someone from the list (I forget who) sent me a "recipe"
>for a soil mix for growing epiphytic utrics. I had been growing my U.
>calycifida as a terrestrial, and I repotted the plant into an epiphytic
>soil mix. About three weeks after I repotted, my plant began to bloom
>and a plantlet formed about half-way up the flower stalk. Since I have
>been growing it as an epiphyte, the growth rate has increased
>dramatically.

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor