Re: Seeds and stems

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 16:47:20 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 19:47:20 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seeds and stems

hey kids, Peter here at California Carnivores.
    I've been busy the past week and catching up on the latest chit chat.
Anyway, "Mad" Groves correctly informed in inquiry about Sarracenia 'Tarnok'.
 Atlanta Botanical Garden has tissue cultured the little beasts and may have
some for sale. Stephanie donated a couple of plants to the collection here at
California Carnivores. For those not familiar, 'Tarnok' is a form of S.
leucophylla with utter bizarre and beautiful flowers.
     As for temperate pinquicula and drosera going dormant in mid summer, yes
I did discuss this in a recent column in CPN. Phil Wilson is correct about
the heat of summer, but also, I believe, at least here in California, that
many of these temperate plants, like P. grandiflora and D. anglica, start
growing earlier (like late February or March) in many areas when in
cultivation. Normally growth would not start until late April or even May.
These plants normally would go dormant by September in the wild after a 5
month growing season. So if they start early they often go dormant early.
Also heat is a definate factor. After our 114 F heat wave all greenhouse
temperates fold up to hibernacula, although a few outdoors are still growing!
 As someone else mentioned, these types of plants often fair better outdoors,
which is true.
      Incidentally, the Domaine treatment has greatly improved the fungus
that had attacked many of our display Sarracenia, and I'm continuing to use
it every 10 days or so. I sent leaf samples to our agricultural lab, but they
diagnosed no pathogens, probably due to the fungicide killing it all.
     Seeya. Oh, by the way, we have S. x dixie lace and S. x mardi gras
now available for $9.50 each. S. x mardi gras was called "sultry maid" but
religious folks complained and the name was changed. Both are photographed in
The Savage Garden.
     Matt asked about D. anglica 'hawaii'. We grow it here and sometimes
have it for sale (although not right now-we'll have more available in Fall).
It is an excellent terrarium sundew.
     Th-th-th-th-that's all folks!
      Oh! Marilee and Damon finished our tiny exhibit at the Hall of Flowers
at the Sonoma County Fair which opens this Tuesday. The theme is The Future
and we were given Area 51 to decorate. So if you like aliens, ufos and enjoy
vacation in Roswell, check it out!