terrarium Nepenthes

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sun Jul 23 2000 - 13:35:39 PDT

Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2000 16:35:39 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: terrarium Nepenthes

In a message dated 7/23/00 4:03:23 AM Central Daylight Time,
cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

<< Dear All,

 Thank you for all the comments on my prior question, concerning what
 Nepenthes can be grown successfully in a terrarium. The dissenting opinion
 was that no Nepenthes can live out its life within the confines of a
 terrarium. This then led me to ask the question how can I keep Nepenthes
 while living in NH and not owning a greenhouse? I will be grateful for any
 advice I can get on the subject.

 Thanks,

 B Wiley >>

  B Wiley,

  I would not go that far to say you can't grow Nepenthes in terrariums. All
my plants are in mostly 10 gallon tanks and some lowland species such as
gracillis , hirsuta, bellii, and ampullaria do quite well. If you can grow
highlanders(meeting the temperature requirements), some of the smaller
Nepenthes are highlanders(glabrata, gymnanmphora, ect). Many Nepenthes are
slow growers and if you get small TC plants, it could take years for them to
start outgrowing a tank. Some species thrive no matter what, and mirabilis
and alata will start growing out of the tank, but you can always cut them
back. There are a ton of hybrids out there that are also suitable, so go
ahead and experiment.
  It is true that Drosera and Pinguicula(Mexicans do great in tanks) are
better suited, but Nepenthes can be grown successfully in tanks. I would not
give up.
  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, Nebraska