Sarracenias under attack

From: Aaron Carlson (aaronc@tranquility.net)
Date: Sat Jul 22 2000 - 04:42:16 PDT

Date: Sat, 22 Jul 2000 06:42:16 -0500
From: "Aaron Carlson" <aaronc@tranquility.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenias under attack

I have a question regarding some possible Sarracenia pathogens. In
the last week or so, several of my plants have been getting small,
dark-red spots all over them. They are around 4-5 mm in diameter,
are dark in the center and fade to a lighter color at the edge.
Also, it seems a lot of my plants start getting some kind of fungus
within a week after the pitchers open. This develops right where
there is a concentrated mass of insects in the pitcher. The plant
turns a grayish-brown in the area where the insects are, and
gradually the whole pitcher succumbs, usually in about a two-week
period. The plants are kept outside and I do keep them rather wet,
and it's not all the plants that exhibit these symptoms. Anyone
have any suggestions? The plants themselves don't appear to be
dying, but for cosmetic reasons I would like to try to eliminate the
problem. Thanks is advance, Aaron Carlson

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]