Re: P.grandiflora

From: Chris Teichreb (cteichreb@hotmail.com)
Date: Thu Jul 20 2000 - 08:48:31 PDT

Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 08:48:31 PDT
From: "Chris Teichreb" <cteichreb@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P.grandiflora

Hi Kevin,

>Help! My Pinguicula grandiflora is sending up hibernation buds and it's
>the
>middle of summer! First the leaves died (oh no!), then this funny

   This isn't that uncommon. It usually happens when temperate
plants accustomed to cooler summers are grown in warmer conditions.
Peter D'Amato wrote an article in CPN (I think!) a few issues back
about this. From what I remember of it, the plants go semi-dormant
in the summer (and should be kept somewhat drier) and will come
back in the fall, and then go dormant for the winter. Basically,
two growing seasons (spring and fall).

   Peter, if you're out there, perhaps you can summarize the
required conditions for this summer dormancy better than I can!

Happy growing,

Chris

--
Chris Teichreb