Re: Bird Dispersal

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Jul 19 2000 - 02:42:13 PDT

Date: Wed, 19 Jul 2000 09:42:13 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bird Dispersal

Dear Bruce,

> Bird dispersal of aquatic Utricularia is probably more common than we think.
(...)
> It is also the only explanation for the recent occurence of U. geminiscapa
> (eastern USA and Canada) in New Zealand

Don't you forget the busy (human) enthusiast? I trust most of the
"surprising"/"unexpected" recent reports of otherwise well-known
plants that have never been found anywhere close in the past few
hundred years, thousands of miles apart from their natural,
climatically, edaphically, and ecologically well circumscribed ranges
can be attributed to direct, +/- intended human influence. Just
consider them introduced neophytes (I do so).

Kind regards
Jan