Re: Sarracenia rotting

From: Roger & Diane Jones (miura@ihug.co.nz)
Date: Tue Jul 18 2000 - 02:49:40 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Jul 2000 21:49:40 +1200
From: "Roger & Diane Jones" <miura@ihug.co.nz>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia rotting

I too have had problems with Sarracenia rotting in previous years, mainly in
Autumn but occasionally at other times. I had some plants tested and they
had Phytophthora cinnamomi - a root rot fungus. The treatment recommended
was drenching with Fongarid, Saprol and Alliette for plants showing
symptoms. It may repair damaged plants, but it depends on how far advanced
the fungus is. Phytophthora thrives in wet soil and water is required for
spore production. The spores swim through the soil and infect the roots.
The fungus is commonly introduced in diseased plant material, but it can
also be spread in soil attached to boots, tools and vehicles or any muddy
storm water. I believe pH also plays a part and a pH of 5 to 5.5 is
detrimental to the fungus but higher than 5.5 and problems can occur.
Hoping this helps.
Diane