Proposed changes in CITES regulation

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jul 15 2000 - 23:50:38 PDT

Date: Sun, 16 Jul 2000 01:50:38 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Proposed changes in CITES regulation

I don't know how many people on this list care, but there is an ongoing
discussion on Orchid Guide Digest (OGD) on this subject. US Fish & Wildlife
Service (UFWS)proposed some changes, and depending the outcome of the
change, the trade of plants listed on CITES will be severely regulated. This
is US only, and will not affect other contries.

All orchids are listed on CITES whether they are species or hybrids. As many
know not all CPs are on CITES, the *proposed* change might not affect many.
However, some of popular CPs such as VFT and N. rajah (spell?), N. khasiana,
S. oreophylla, and S. alabamensis are listed, so this change might affect
some after all. If interested, I recommend to visit AOS (American Orchid
Society) website at: http://www.orchidweb.org/

Hideka