Nepenthes bicalcarata question

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jul 14 2000 - 04:53:46 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 07:53:46 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes bicalcarata question

I have a question about the inflorescence of Nepenthes bicalcarata.
Danser's description of this species states the lower most branches of
"female" or pistillate flowers have three flowers each, while "male" or
staminate branches have 4-15 flowers. Cross referencing to Jebb & Cheek I
find no floral information at all on this and many other Nepenthes species.
I am wondering if Danser's information has been confirmed by field
observations more recently? (Also why this important info. has been left out
of the more recent descriptions) I have seen photo's of pitchers by Andreas
Wistuba in Jan Schlauer's information database but none of inflorescence. I
would be appreciative of any information on this subject so I can determine
in advance, which inflorescence would be best used for seed production and
which might be best removed. Thank you in advance.
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl, USA