Re: Animal & Bird problems

From: Michael Hunt (stovehouse@earthlink.net)
Date: Wed Jul 12 2000 - 06:14:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2000 09:14:58 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <stovehouse@earthlink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Animal & Bird problems

I had terrible problems with birds a couple months ago. They were Blue
Jays, followed by Grackles, Mocking Birds, and Cardinals. I experienced the
same problems you are describing on a large scale level. Large numbers of
Sarracenia, Drosera, and Pinguicula seedlings were taken. I discovered that
the birds were taking the easy to pull up plants to use as nesting material.
I watched as they would fly away with say a seedling D. filiformis in their
beak. Nothing I tried worked, this included standing outside and spraying
them with a hose or turning the sprinkler on. Only delayed them for a few
minutes. Netting was used, but if any portion was not secured they would
get under it and continue pulling plants. Also pulled potting material out
of Nepenthes pots leaving the plants exposed. So netting, or window screen
was the only answer that did work but it had to be like fort Knox. The
birds are still here, but nesting must be over as I have very little problem
now. I was told that birds have strong sense of smell and to try moth balls,
I didn't due to pets on the property so I have no idea as to the results
with this.
~ Mike
St. Petersburg Fl