Question about outdoor misting system

From: Chuck Rossi (chuckr@vmware.com)
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 17:01:10 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 17:01:10 -0700
From: Chuck Rossi <chuckr@vmware.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Question about outdoor misting system

Has anyone had experience using non-optimal "mains" water in a misting
system?

I'm thinking of setting up a small outdoor bog using a Home Despot plastic
barrel liner and would like to use a simple misting system to get around the
problem of 40% (or less) humidity (which is what spring and summer brings to
my part of inland Northern California). It's not really feasible for me to
rig up a distilled water misting system.

The mini-bog would contain various Sarracenia and hybrids, hardy Drosera
(mainly capensis and binata), and a few VFTs.

I'm worried that the hard water (hardness of 18?, pH of 7.6, chlorine 1ppm)
will harm the plants as it repeatedly mists over them and the bog (although I
imagine most of the water will evaporate quickly after misting).

Anyone had any luck doing this?

Thanks...

Chuck Rossi
San Jose, CA