aldrovanda/ Utric introductions

From: JWi5770869@aol.com
Date: Tue Jul 11 2000 - 11:33:40 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 14:33:40 EDT
From: JWi5770869@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: aldrovanda/ Utric  introductions

cp@opus.labs.agilent.com writes:

> There has been some discusion lately if humans are reintroducing
> aldrovanda south of Sydney. As I understand it, it has been hypothesised
> that waterfowl dispersed aldrovanda across europe and africa. You must
> have birds in Australian, too. Historically aldrovanda had been seen in
> India and Japan as well.

Dear All,
One aspect I've never understood about this whole "birds introducing species
across the world" angle (BTW whenever this crops up I'm always reminded of
the Monty Python film "The Holy Grail" and the coconut -carrying swallow!!!!)
is the ability of small birds to carry an aquatic species, even a short
distance without it drying out.

Its hard enough to keep some of these aquatic species going (even U. Gibba)
in a "perfect" environment, never mind drying them out and transplanting a
number of hours later.
So what are the birds doing right that I'm doing wrong???? and specifically
how do they carry these pieces of plant material (bearing in mind that most
birds groom themselves on a fairly regular basis).

John "gonna grow feathers" Wilden
Southport
Lancs.
UK