VFTs

From: Kit Halsted (kit@kithalsted.com)
Date: Sat Jul 08 2000 - 11:09:24 PDT

Date: Sat, 8 Jul 2000 14:09:24 -0400
From: Kit Halsted <kit@kithalsted.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFTs

For what it's worth:

Thanks to Andrew Marshall's generous quantities, I got 5 VFTs back at
the beginning of May.

Thanks to my own lack of experience and/or knowledge, 1 rotted
completely away, 2 lost all of their leaves, 1 lost all but 1 sickly
leaf, & 1 kept growing new leaves with no traps. What was happening
was the leaves were coming in with black spots on them; the spots
would spread & eventually engulf the leaves before they could fully
form.

I hit the 4 that weren't completely dead with fungicide about a month
ago & I'm finally seeing the results: The one that had lots of
trapless leaves now has 2 functional traps & more on the way. The one
with a single, sickly leaf is beginning to produce shoots that look
like they may become viable leaves. One of the leafless plants just
started sending up 3 new shoots. The other leafless plant is still
leafless, but I suspect that the fungicide just shocked it into a
temporary dormancy.

This is probably old news to most of you on the list, but perhaps it
will be of help to anyone struggling with dying VFTs out there.

-Kit