Fertilizing Nepenthes growing in an inorganic growing medium

From: Davidogray@aol.com
Date: Sat Jul 01 2000 - 13:28:51 PDT

Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2000 16:28:51 EDT
From: Davidogray@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Fertilizing Nepenthes growing in an inorganic growing medium

Jay Vannini asked:

<< Is light pitchering typical of N. northiana through, say, the 6-8"
diameter
size? Or should I modify my fertilization regimen? >>

The question of supplimental fertilization for _Nepenthes_ is a very good
question to explore; for starters go to the excellent website of Boneo
Exotics at : http://www.borneoexotics.com/
click the "cultivation" button, then "fertilizer trials" to see the results
of a large scale test of different fertilizers and micronutrients ( and the
useless product "SuperThrive" ) they performed on young _Nepenthes_ plants
growing in an *organic* growing medium ( coconut husk fiber ). I believe the
results are applicable to growth in an inorganic medium.

_N. northiana_ was included in these trials and showed particular sensitivity
to any added fertilizers. Robert Cantley mentioned to me at the ICPS
Conference that in his opinion, the most important factor for good growth of
_northiana_ was consistantcy in its growing environment; it needs a somewhat
shaded high-humidity micro-climate with no stresses or sharp fluctuations to
check its growth. No one will tell you this is an easy species to grow. God
knows mine don't look like the pictures in books. I grow mine in a sand and
pumice mix ( that I use for it and _N. mirabilis_ ) with a natural layer of
moss on the surface. I still have some browning of the leave edges that
resembles the effects of salt damage on other plants and not every leaf makes
a completely formed pitcher. I don't fertilize it but I do feed the pitcher
with pelleted fish food once in a while.

Who has good success with _northiana_? What methods and conditions work for
you, and ( maybe just as importantly ) what didn't work?

Cheers,
David

Does anyone else