Re: Marl soil recipe (to Jay Lechtman)

From: John Green (john.green@ascensus.com)
Date: Fri Jun 30 2000 - 12:42:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 13:42:01 -0600
From: John Green <john.green@ascensus.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Marl soil recipe (to Jay Lechtman)

A couple of weeks ago Jay Lechtman was asking if anyone has experimented
with marl soil recipes for growing S. purpurea ssp. purpurea and D.
linearis. I was just reading in Don Schnell's book "CP of the USA and
Canada" and he mentioned that Joe Mazrimas had used a mix of half
vermiculite and half white silica sand for growing D. linearis, which gives
a very similar aggregate texture to it's native soil. He said that the soil
mixture would be neutral but you could add dolomite to make it alkaline.
Hope it helps!

John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah
ps. I've changed my e-mail address for anyone who's corresponded with me in
the past. It's now john.green@ascensus.com.