Centepede & Millepdes + VFT = ???

From: Michael Collard (quadfour@iinet.net.au)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 20:55:38 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2000 11:55:38 +0800
From: Michael Collard <quadfour@iinet.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Centepede & Millepdes + VFT = ???

Hello everyone, first post to this mailing list...

I own 7 VFT, bought from various outlets a few weeks ago. They all seem
to be doing different things, I had one flower, 2 seem to be going
dorment, and the rest are just thriving. I live in Perth, WA or Rooland
as some may know it. It is currently winter over here too with temps
reaching as low as 6deg C at night, max of about 25deg C. When I bought
them, I repotted them from those tiny 2" pots, all into one large
rectangular pot, plenty of room. I planted them in a 2/3 Peat moss & 1/3
river sand combination and so far they seem to be going fine. Since I
keep the indoors on a northerly facing window sill, they are getting
about 7 hrs of sunlight ATM. I also occasionly feed them any insects I
find, spiders, flies, slaters, roaches. And the latest victoms, a few
centepedes or millepedes, dunno which it is. They are about 1" long, and
very thin. Anyway, they managed to mimic houdini and so I have 4 of
these critters wandering around in the pot somewhere. I tried but
couldn't find them. I read somewhere that these things eat plant roots,
and dead organic matter to obtain nutrience. The question I have is will
these things kill my VFTs. If so is there a insecticide that will knock
them off but not the plants. I indend to keep these plants for years.
Thanks..

--Michael