Northern California CP

From: Kirk Martin (kirk_martin@harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Jun 29 2000 - 08:40:05 PDT

Date: Thu, 29 Jun 2000 11:40:05 -0400
From: Kirk Martin <kirk_martin@harvard.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Northern California CP

>Was great fun to meet and greet so many folks heretofore just a name on the
>net. If you have traveled to some of our cp hotspots after the conference,
>I'd be interested to know of your experience and perceptions.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hawkeye

I'm not sure if my rental car company will ever rent to me again since I
put nearly 1300 miles on my car visiting Northern California cp habitats as
well as great cp tourist destinations (California Carnivores <not to be
missed!!!>.)
I was driving on Highway 199 and pouring over my maps trying to find a cp
location pointed out by Hawkeye Rondeau. I noticed several cars parked on
a side-street Pioneer Rd near Panther Flats and decided maybe I was in the
right place.
I met a group of people standing on the side of the road who I greeted and
they clearly didn't understand my english nor I their french. A kind
french woman pointed into the woods and spoke an eloquent sounding phrase
with a word I finally understood....."Darlingtonia". I tramped only a few
feet into the woods and was greeted by a trickling stream with Darlingtonia
growing down the entire hillside "if there was water, there was
darlingtonia". One of my french explorers who spoke english sought me out
and introduced himself as Phillip of Lyon, France. He showed me a nearby
population of red D. rotundifolia. It was a great day for me seeing the
wondrous plants in the wild.
Phillip and friends were just beginning their explorations as they were
flying off the next day to visit Florida and see as many Sarracenia as
possible during their holiday.
I drove a few miles down the road and entirely by accident came upon the
"Botanical trail", the sign which had a hand-painted sign with an
exagerrated Darlingtonia face. It is a developed .2 mile loop which shows
towering Darlingtonia in multiple areas and is an easy hike. It is a
fantastic site and nearly rivals the enormous Darlingtonia of the
"Darlingtonia Wayside" in Florence Oregon.

My advice: To all who couldn't make the conference, start planning now.
Wherever ICPS has a conference in the world (I've heard rumors it might be
Borneo....but maybe they are just rumors), it will be great.

Kirk W. Martin R.S.
Associate Biosafety/Sanitation Officer
Harvard University
Environmental Health and Safety