Re: Plant questions

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Mon Jun 26 2000 - 08:36:42 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 15:36:42 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Plant questions

Dear Brian,

> I've been reading, and I have a question about plant naming. There
> seems like a lot of CP that have been discovered by one person, but
> named by another - sometimes years later! Why doesn't the discoverer
> get to name the plant?

Frequently, the discoverers of plants are not Botanists, and some
insight in the formal requirements for the description of new taxa
(which Botanists have more likely than other people) is necessary in
order to name a plant correctly.

> And finally, what are petals, sepals, and tepals -- and do they make a
> difference to anybody except botanists?

Morphologically, sepals are derived from normal leaves. They are
usually green and they serve the purpose to cover/protect the flower
bud. Petals are derived from stamens. They are usually coloured
and they frequently attract pollinators. Tepals are perianth organs
(leaves surrounding the reproductive structures of a flower) of
mostly uniform appearance, origin, and function without clear
separation between sepals and petals.

Kind regards
Jan