Back from the listserve dead

From: Joseph Kinyon (corusc8@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jun 25 2000 - 00:57:18 PDT

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 07:57:18 GMT
From: "Joseph Kinyon" <corusc8@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Back from the listserve dead

Hello everyone,

After 3 days of the ICPS conference in San Francisco followed 4 days of
intertidal nudibranch paradise, my cerebral cortex is a little over
stimulated.

It was wonderful putting names and faces together of those of you who
attended the conference, and I look forward to meeting the rest of you who
didn't.

I was impressed by the organization that David Gray and Barry Meyers-Rice
put into the event. I am humbled by the breadth of experience that
chit-chats here on the listserve. I especially appreciate all the effort
made by those of you who presented at the ICPS conference . Your addition to
the event made the $100.00 attendance fee a deal.

Since I am re-joining the listserve after a few months away(and since I
never did this to begin with), I'm supplying the little biography
recommended by Rick Walker. This is of course a big hint to scroll on to
more interesting messages.

My name is Joseph Kinyon and I live in the Marin Headlands, California. I
have worked as a naturalist for a little over 15 years, and I have used cp's
as a tool, pathway, and hook to introduce people to the environment and the
many issues it faces. I've been growing plants for about six years, and I'm
blessed by Bay Area microclimates,local expertise, and the fine plants I've
purchased from many of you. My main interest is in maintaining a teaching
collection that represents the diversity of genus in carnivorous plants, and
all the species of California. I currently work at the California Academy
of Sciences in San Francisco, and secretly (not so secretly now) plot to
have a world class natural history exhibit on carnivorous plants (envision
live plants and huge, burly, hands-on displays). Recently I have completed
an oversized coldframe/greenhouse from salvaged chuch windows, where my
plants have learned to thrive without molestation by dogs (aldrovonda
breathed boneheads) or raccoons (evil creatures of the devil with cutesy
charismas). Living in the armpit of fogland finally has a benefit with the
recent inclusion of bromeliads and heliamphoras to my collection. I am
currently reading Darwin's Insectivorous Plants and I plan to travel to the
Caucas Mountains of Northern Georgia this fall (any collection or
observation suggestions would be appreciated). My next teaching goal for
cp's is an 8 week course for 11-14 year olds, 2-3 hours every Saturday--with
two of the days including field trips to a nursery and a native plant site.

Thats enough waste of bandwidth. I look forward to the digest again.

Joseph Kinyon