Re: Darlingtonia heat tolerance

From: Sylvia De Rooy (red1@humboldt1.com)
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 09:33:47 PDT

Date: Sat, 24 Jun 2000 09:33:47 -0700
From: Sylvia De Rooy <red1@humboldt1.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Darlingtonia heat tolerance

Isn't there more humidity in Florida than in Colorado? Might that not make
a difference?
I have a couple of Darlingtonia in my outdoor bog and, although I live
fairly close to their native habitat, I do not treat them to the cold water
seep conditions that they would perhaps prefer. They get a little (and I
mean "little") rain water sloshed on them every day or two and they grow
and thrive.One of them was rescued from a creek where it was washing down
by a biologist friend. She told me that it could not have made it had she
left it and since it was a red Darlingtonia it would be interesting to see
if it stayed red in other conditions. The answer is a resounding NO.That
plant is a survivor, it has been dug up and mangled by a dog and this year
is sending up a number of new shoots.
At the Humboldt State greenhouse I have seen Darlingtonia crowded to
bursting in pots left outside with water from a hose thrown at them
periodically and they thrive. Are Darlingtonia tougher than we think?