ICPS Conference

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 12:17:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 14:17:01 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: ICPS Conference

Just a note to say the conference was great! Thanks to David O. Gray
and Cindy (Zlesack?? I have no idea how to spell her last name) for
working so hard to put on a great conference... have you two
recovered yet?
We saw a lot of incredible photographs of various expeditions to see
Nepenthes and Heliamphora, we learned about the trapping
mechanism of Venus flytraps, how to teach young children about cp's,
tissue culture experiments, exotic invasive weeds that threaten cp's
and cp's as exotic invasive weeds, how to put together a fancy
terrarium, how to make an outdoor bog, how to do tissue culture at
home, and more, I know, but I don't have my notes with me at the
moment... Peter D'Amato didn't do his scheduled x-rated talk at the
banquet, so Barry Meyers-Rice did it for him, to the great amusement
of most of us! (If anyone was offended, they didn't tell me... seriously,
it wasn't all that racy, but it WAS funny. Barry denies any memory of
the event.) The auction went very well, with everything selling at a
good price... hopefully it pulled the conference out of the hole!
I'm not sure how many people went on the informal field trip... I
headed up there a bit earlier than most and saw some beautiful
Darlingtonia and Pinguicula sites. The area around Gasquet is
awesome, and we took some time to see the ocean and the
redwoods, too. I highly recommend a visit to the area to anyone,
whether they're interested in cp's or not!

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299
St. Louis MO 63166-0299