Re: Nepenthes merrilliana

From: Steven Stewart (steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Jun 22 2000 - 07:07:47 PDT

Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 10:07:47 -0400
From: "Steven Stewart" <steven.stewart@worldnet.att.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes merrilliana

Hello,
Steven Stewart here,
I know my Nepenthes growing technique is not "typical" , but I have found
N. merrilliana ( thanks John de Kanel) easy to grow in Sphagnum moss. This
species seems to like lower light levels than other species ie. Nepenthes
bicalcarata. I do not keep N. merrilliana saturated with water when warm, as
I try to do with N. bical.. No matter, the media pH is very _low_ as is the
pH of the water (~5) I use. My plants are not flowering size, and I have
only grown this species for about a year, but they are in 10" baskets and
pitchering over the edge. I am pleased with this rate of growth. Warm
temperatures 60-90F. and high humidity, higher than 50%, are also important
when working with this species. After experimenting with transplantation
Marcello, patience is neccessary. Good healthy leaf blades are a positive
sign.
Hope this helps,
Take care,
Steven Stewart
Sanford, Fl. USA

>Subject: N. merrilliana

as after all this is a rare plant and everything about the way to grow it is
always useful.
>I can't find the laterite,
>Maybe my compost is too acid? Is this the way the plant react? It produce
leaves always a little bit bigger, and red and healthy. But simply with no
pitchers! what's wrong?