U.firmula X U.welwitschii

From: Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes (fe_riva@uol.com.br)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 12:52:43 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 16:52:43 -0300
From: "Fernando Rivadavia-Lopes" <fe_riva@uol.com.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.firmula X U.welwitschii

Hi Loyd,

>I too was sucessful in growing this species from seed. It was originally
collected by Fernando on his trip round Southern Africa (hi Fernando!) in
1998 I think.

            Yep, August-September 1998.

>The plants flowered for the first time last autumn and on the basis of this
and my trusty copy of Taylor, came to the conclusion that the plant is
U.welwitschii rather than U.firmula.

            That's right, you told me that you'd identified it as
U.welwitschii and I forgot about it! It does truly seem to be this species
and in hindsight I can't remember what it was that led me to think it was
U.firmula instead. Anyways, there was a smaller yellow-flowered species
growing near it which i identified at the time as U.bisquamata, but which
may actually be the true U.firmula now that I think about it. Robert Gibson
went to the same site afterwards but I can't remember what his conclusions
were. We'll have to ask him once the ICPS conference is over.

>The small flowers are very unusual with a flower colour I have never seen
before, a realy strange mauve colour with the two inflated bulges on the
palate orange. I believe Paul Debbert also made a collection of
U.welwitschii from Pretoria.

            The color is truly unique and adding to the fact that it seems
easy to cultivate, I'd say it may yet turn out to be a big hit among Utric
fans.

>On Friday I notice the first ever flower spike on my U.nelumbifolia, can't
wait til it opens.

            Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep us posted!

Best Wishes,

Fernando Rivadavia
Sao Paulo, Brazil