Re: seedling sundew id's?

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sun Jun 18 2000 - 03:35:47 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Jun 2000 11:35:47 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: seedling sundew id's?

Carol

I'm no sundew expert (I say this to avoid roars of laughter from
Fernando, Sundew Sundew, and other sundew- expert pals) but i do have
one relevent comment.

Depending on which sundews you have nearby (most of which will probably look remarkably alike), there is a reasonable chance that you could have hybrids as seedlings. So, irrespective of the shape of the leaves when young, I would be cautious and use the old fashioned identification of adults from a key before assuming the name of anything growing. In any case, based on some of Fernando's remarkable on-line descriptions of plants he finds and then identifies, I think that differentiating many of the true rosette forming sundews (if not most sundews) would be nigh on impossible
without close identification of leaves, glands and flowers in adult plants.

(Alternatively, and just so I remain in character, you could just
discard all the red rosetted thingies - sundew seedlings - thereby
avoiding the identification work and as a result make room for something
else!)

Cheers

Paul