U.firmula=U.welwitschii

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 12:34:56 PST

Date: Sat, 17 Jun 2000 21:35:59 GMT+01:00
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.firmula=U.welwitschii

Dear Jason, Filippo and Howard,

I too was sucessful in growing this species from seed. It was
originally collected by Fernando on his trip round Southern Africa (hi
Fernando!)in 1998 I think. The plants flowered for the first time last
autumn and on the basis of this and my trusty copy of Taylor, came to
the conclusion that the plant is U.welwitschii rather than U.firmula.
The small flowers are very unusual with a flower colour I have never
seen before, a realy strange mauve colour with the two inflated bulges
on the palate orange. I believe Paul Debbert also made a collection of
U.welwitschii from Pretoria.

On Friday I notice the first ever flower spike on my U.nelumbifolia,
can't wait til it opens.

Cheers

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on