Marl Soil Recipes Anyone?

From: Jay Lechtman (jay.lechtman@ingenix.com)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 08:34:54 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:34:54 -0500
From: Jay Lechtman <jay.lechtman@ingenix.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Marl Soil Recipes Anyone?

I'm experimenting with two carnivorous species that inhabit the alkaline
marl bogs of the Great Lakes region of the U.S. and Canada (S. purpurea and
D. linearis). In a feeble attempt to recreate their native conditions, I've
mixed approximately three parts sand to one part peat to a bit of hydrated
lime. Too early to gauge success, but I'm wondering ... has anyone on the
list come up with a media recipe that works consistently for marl CP? I'm
less concerned with the S. purpurea ... it will grow perfectly fine in acid
media, but I'd love to keep the D. linearis a going concern.

All replies welcome.

Jay Lechtman
Virginia, USA