Re: New Zealand Sphagnum Moss in USA?

From: Michael Hunt (stovehouse@earthlink.net)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 07:33:50 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 10:33:50 -0400
From: "Michael Hunt" <stovehouse@earthlink.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New Zealand Sphagnum Moss in USA?

Ann Manns Orchids in Windemere Florida sells NZ sphagnum in quantity. Check
the orchid mall site for the link to Ann Manns. I have been using the
Chilean sphagnum from OFE, and didn't even notice the difference in quality.
While I agree with you about twigs and dried grass in the Mosser Lee
Wisconsin sphagnum moss, it isn't of poor quality. Mosser Lee moss will
start to grow after it settles in the planting container and serves it
purpose at a fraction of the cost. Under $15.00 for a 3.5 c.f. bale. There
are several different species of moss in the bales. It is my understanding
that Mosser Lee uses its own property to harvest its sphagnum and allows for
restoration of these bogs before they harvest again. Its been reported that
sometimes Drosera or utricularia sprouts from this moss, I have never had
this though I have had other bog plants sprout from the moss. I can think
of another benefit to maintaining a real bog for harvesting of sphagnum.
This would be to keep competing plants out that would smother the bog with
time. Desirable for lots of small herbaceous plants including cp. No doubt
the NZ sphagnum is far superior in appearance and lack of twigs, weeds, but
after a time it declines with no re-growth. Also I wonder how this moss is
gathered. It is of a slow growing tufted variety and raking bogs to
harvest this moss could cause long term damage or death to the wetlands it
grows in.
Take care,
~ Mike
Michael Hunt