Re: Re: tc seeds vs tc tissues

From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda (vmiranda@rc.unesp.br)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 03:54:58 PDT

Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 07:54:58 -0300
From: Vitor Fernandes Oliveira de Miranda <vmiranda@rc.unesp.br>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: tc seeds vs tc tissues

Hi Muad'Dib,

    Do you think really tc seeds bring us more advantages than
simple sowing? Wich is the culturing media you use? For my study
on Drosera seedlings, I have germinated seeds just on humid filter
paper. Results have been suitable. Regarding sometimes seeds are
meager, I prefer to avoid risks, not trying different methods. But,
if tc seeds work as you have said, maybe be better to try, what do
you think?

Regards

Vitor Rio Claro-SP, Brazil

Muad'Dib wrote:

Tissue culturing seed has many advantages. Seed coats are easier to
sterilize than tissue. It's easier to keep tissue sterile. There
is no

need for hormones. The resulting plants are more vigorous. (Plants
derived from seed are always more vigorous than those derived
clonally.)

 There is a genetic diversity not present in clonally produced
plants. And there is a higher % germination than sowing.

Stratification helps with sowing in SOME plants. The most
noticeable difference between sowing and TC is the humidity. Prior
to germination,

that is the only REAL difference. Perhaps germinating on a water
agar, then moving to soil would help germination percentages.

TC of plants is good for expanding the population or getting some
plants

quick, but then sexual reproduction should take over. By getting a
bunch of adult, then producing genetically diverse smaller plants
(at an

increased percentage), the genetically diverse plants can be
distributed

all over the planet.

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]