sabah pitchers

From: george anderson (georgea3@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 14:02:46 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:02:46 -0500
From: "george anderson" <georgea3@ix.netcom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: sabah pitchers

Topic No. 3
steve, you might want to check out the following reference:
A. Phillipps and A Lamb, "Pitcher-Plants of East Malaysia and Brunei", in
Nature Malaysiana, vol 13, page 8-27, 1988.

it contains some great photos of pitcher plants in sabah.

and should anyone check this ref out, you will see a picture on page 18 of a
n. vietchi climbing a tree. it does so by the leaves growing around the
trunk of the tree and hooking the pitcher of the opposing leaf. i cant
understand how it could grow in this fashion which seems to imply a 'spatial
awareness' in the plant (which i believe is unknown). if anyone can explain
this odd growth habit, please enlighten me. i grow weary trying to figure it
out.

gma