RE: Aphids, Whiteflies and Other Pests

From: Jay Lechtman (jay.lechtman@ingenix.com)
Date: Thu Jun 01 2000 - 07:36:20 PDT

Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 09:36:20 -0500
From: Jay Lechtman <jay.lechtman@ingenix.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Aphids, Whiteflies and Other Pests

Miguel,

I've used this technique with fairly good results on Dionaea and Drosera
intermedia. I have found in some cases that repeated attempts must be made.
Not all of the little pests die in every case. No damage to the plants,
however.

Jay Lechtman (jealous that you've seen D. binata (and probably D. arcturi)
in the wild)
Virginia, USA

<I've read that submerging plants in water for a few hours or a couple of
<days often does the trick. The aphids are restricted to Drosera binata at
<this stage, and I've often seen this plant submerged in the wild. I could
<probably stick the pots into a snap-lock bag and fill it up with water,
<preventing the aphids from escaping.

<Any thoughts?

<Miguel de Salas

<School of Plant Science,